Thursday, June 2, 2016

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

I last posted a few years ago.  As one might imagine, a journey back to this blog may have stemmed from life throwing yet another curve ball.  While my current career in the emergency department thrives off of day to day existence in adversity under life and death circumstances, I, nevertheless, find myself looking for the next career step.  I wonder if I get bored after about 4 years, because every major education or career move happens on a cycle of 4 years.  So here I am staring down the 3-year mark barrel.  And, just like clock work, circumstances have lead me to the conclusion that I need, that I want, further education and expertise in what I see as my deep seated passion, spaceflight.  After leaving NASA 10 years ago to go to medical school, spaceflight remains at the forefront of my career thoughts.  I remain eternally grateful for the God given gifts of a sound mind and body and the ability to walk through the valley of death and at times resuscitate those who can be saved, but I do not believe my education and career nor my evolution thereof stop with these abilities.  Over the last 3 years, my internal struggle to avoid further education and/or career moves have only ended with the foregone conclusion that I am not done yet.  After being passed up on two promising opportunities in aerospace medicine, darkness set in.  But with that darkness came the sunrise and soon I will apply for formal training in aerospace medicine.

No comments: