Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I took it.

Today, I turned around, sped up, and ran right at the damn thing. I caught myself sliding into being okay with okay. I might as well as put up the white flag, high and bright. In the middle of a long run today, I finally broke out. I grabbed that damn 500lb demon off my back and told it to go straight to hell. Except that, it landed on its feet and took off after me. Snarling and energized by fear, the beast accelerated. I felt it gaining on me. I ran faster and faster. It continued to close the gap. It saw me as prey. The beating of its claws grew louder and louder against the concrete. I had had enough. I turned around, sped up, and ran right at the damn thing. I stared right into its eyes. They glowed deep red. Its teeth were exposed, ready to pierce and tear flesh from my body. I have seen this beast many times before in my dreams lately, and every time the dream ended before battle but not tonight. Tonight, this beast was going down. It launched itself at me with a ferocious silence, claws engaged, teeth ready. I in turn braced to dismember it, sword in hand. There was no impact, no collision, no two unstoppable forces colliding in the night. There was only sound of its body slamming into the ground with its head landing a few seconds behind and at a distance of several feet from its body. Tonight, I took it.

No comments: