Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Red Line To Our Salvation

After an interesting and very, very early day in the Emergency Department, I made my way back home. As I waited for the bus to get to the Metro, a couple approached me, which bus to take for the Red line. They were in luck as I was heading to the Red line. Their little girl sat there beside her mother, cute as button and very inquisitive. Today, she would see the circus, lions, tigers, and bears, oh my! She confronted me on my PJs, and rightfully so, scrubs must look quite funny if you are not used to seeing people wear them. Her mom repeatedily told her that I was working, but she knew better...how could it be work? My day was coursed with fun stuff and good people helping me along the way. Caring for people always makes me feel good, and generally I enjoy myself in doing so. Although, missing an IV stick due to a history of drug use is not fun. I guess a body covered in track lines spelled out a little bit of a hint of my impending failure...maybe not so fun.

I savior my time traveling on the buses and the Metrorail. I see it as a time to reflect on the day and to interact with a wide variety of people. Today was extra special. As I sat at the Dupont Circle D6 stop, I watched people and the occasion happy dog walking his/her owner. Time kept on spinning by. I started to grew a little curious as to where the bus was, but I didn't pay it much attention as I sat there completely content, just happy to be. Out of what seemed nowhere, a gentleman younger than myself, seemingly recently from Mexico, approached me. In broken English but with much resolve, he asked what bus I was waiting for. I told him the D6 bus. Excitedly, he said I need to get to Mass. Ave as the D6 bus ran out of a completely different stop despite bus stop sign. After a couple rounds of "Are you sure," it sunk into my thick skull. The guy must have thought I was crazy. I thanked him and took off toward the bus stop labeled for a completely different bus. A minute or two later when the D6 bus arrived at the 'wrong stop', the man's words rang true. Plus, he saved me from a rather long stay at the original bus stop and from eventual long-winded cursing of the D.C. transportation system.

Wonderful to think, salvation links us. A myriad of individual events throughout the lives of many crisply flows as one interdependent course of action. We need each other. It is just that simple...we need each other.

No comments: